Sunday, 10 February 2008

Flexi-time


I've come over all nostalgic...well, nostalgic and hungover, actually, which is a peculiar combination. The reason for the nostalgia (because I just know you're dying for me to tell you), dear reader, is a flexidisc. It's funny to think that there's now a HUGE percentage of the population who don't know what a flexidisc is. Just in case you fall into this deprived group, I'll explain.


Flexidiscs were very common a couple of decades ago. They were one-sided seven-inch singles pressed on thin plastic which were usually made to be given away (often on magazines) for promotional purposes. Now, few things excite me as much as a bit of free music, and I can still feel the little frisson of excitement I'd get when I got a flexidisc. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost all but one of them, but what a little floppy gem it is!


The Mo-dettes were one of my favourite bands when I was in my early teens. I'd seen them a couple of times at the Saturday Morning Madness gigs at the Hammersmith Odeon and had played their first two singles to death. I was also completely besotted with their lead singer, Ramona, who remains one of the finest bits of totty to ever grace a stage.


Anyway, my big sister had been to see them and bought this flexidisc home with her. It's a cover of Twist & Shout (Mode 1 1/2) and it's really quite good.

7 comments:

John Spithead said...

"Well, shake it up baby, now..."
http://www.4shared.com/file/37402960/72c1ad8c/Twist_And_ShoutMo-dettes.html

penguindevil said...

I too have a fondness for the rare flexi-discs that I have encountered over the years. The best one I ever got was also my first one, "It's A Super-Spectacular Day" from Mad Magazine with the multiple endings! I haven't heard it in decades, but the song, and the memory of its funny little disc, have remained with me.

irishdave said...

A beautiful piece of post punk joy! 2 things for nostalgia freaks - in seperate distros last week I noticed a tape only distro - tapes? - and on a seperate distro list no less than 5 flexies! It's like the future never happened :-)

Malisha Old 666 said...

Just stopped by to say hi.
Vedran from Croatia here. I don't know if you remember, but we exchanged a couple of letters when Spithead was alive and kickin' + thanx for sending me "Swag" tape when it came out.
Found this link on Irishdave's blog where I found out that I've missed your split w/Travis Cut. Fuck it.
Anyway, just wanted to say hi and that Spithead is one of the few ska punk bands that I can still listen to. Cheers.

John Spithead said...

Hi Vedran, great to hear from you. I can clearly remember sitting in a field on a beautiful sunny day writing to you back in '95 or '96.

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
兩津 said...

ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風,伊莉,伊莉討論區,伊莉論壇,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,plus,痴漢論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性愛,性感影片,校園正妹牆,正妹,AV,AV女優,SEX,走光,a片,a片免費看,A漫,h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片,免費影片,免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲,遊戲,好玩遊戲,好玩遊戲區,A片,情趣用品,遊戲區,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆,遊戲基地,線上遊戲