Wednesday, 30 April 2008

All Punned Out

Whilst I'm on the subject of the RAR Silver Jubilee (which I wasn't, but being as mentioned them a couple of posts ago), here's a little diamond (and not illegally mined, either) from someone who played at the celebrations - Tony Allen. He's now drumming with Paul Simenon and Damon All-Bran in The Good The Bad And The Queen, rather than with the band whith whom he released this 12" single, N.E.P.A. (Never Expect Power Always) in 1984 (Earthworks MWKS 3001), Afrobeat 2000. But don't let his current associations spoil this for you. Allen was once Fela Kuti's drummer and he and Afrobeat 2000 took on the thankless task of hawking Afrobeat round Britain when the whole concept of World Music was just a glimmer in Paul Simon's wallet. The title track is a first rate slice of afro-funk, which you can both LISTEN TO and DOWNLOAD here.

When I first heard this, I thought its main refrain was a brilliantly astute expression of the political sang-froid necessary to survive the cut-and-thrust of African politics . Then I found out that it was about the Nigerian electricity supply company!

2 comments:

BOZ said...

Saw this band just before this record came out - November 1999 I think - top class. In terms of afrobeat, my all time favourite will always be the wonderful ORIGINAL SUFFER HEAD by Fela! .....a stroke of genius!!

John Spithead said...

Soz for delay in replying, Boz, but I've just found your comment. Fela was ace. I'm planning to post 'Africa - Centre Of The World' - his collaboration with Roy Ayers in the New Year.